Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Loaves and Fish Challenge

I know some of you are really getting into this coupon thing. One thing that I love about it is, that even on a limited budget I am able to donate to the food shelf here in town.

To be honest, I didn't really think about the food shelf much before coupons. I would usually bring things to church during the Pioneer Club food drive or if there was something mentioned about it in the bulletin. It just didn't seem cross my mind too much without prompting.

Since coupons I end up getting so much stuff so for little that I can't seem to help but share. Sometimes things go to friends and family. Other times to those around me that could really use it, but might not be able to afford it and don't really know how to coupon for it. A lot of times though things go to the food shelf.

At times I see a parallel to the story of the loaves and fish. I start out with so little, ask God to bless it and He multiplies it so abundantly there is no way I could use it all or even find space for it in my house. He provides for me and enables me to help others.

It's amazing how much joy it brings to give things away. Even Noah loves it. He loves to carry his own bag in and put it on the scale to weigh. It makes me think about Pastor Jim's message on Sunday. I didn't catch all of it because I was in the nursery, but he talked about the joy that you receive when you decide in your heart to give and then follow though. I know he was talking about tithing, but it seems to follow through with this too. It just seems that God has blessed us so much with all of this stuff that I can't help but give it in His name to those who need it.

Anyway, long intro and by no means am I trying to draw attention to myself or looking for a pat on the back, not at all. I just wanted to bring up an idea that Becca had and needed a lead in.

Like I said, I was in the nursery on Sunday, but Becca told me that the food shelf is really needing donations. Her idea is a challenge for all of us to donate any of the extra free or cheap things we are getting, but don't "need."

Anyone wanting to participate could send pictures and/or a list of that it is that they are donating. You won't have to bring it to the food shelf in Shakopee you could donate it anywhere you like. I know lots of churches have a place for it at church and then they bring it all in once a month.

There will be some type of prize for the winner. I haven't quite figured all the details out yet. I was thinking that coupons would be appropriate, yet kind of lame. I will put together an envelope of non-insert coupons for the winner, but there will be other prizes as well. Possibly a basket of spa items, and Becca has offered to make some cards for a prize as well.

I'm not really sure on how to judge who wins. We could do it either by number of items, or by total dollar value, that one might be hard to figure out though. If anyone has a better idea let me know.

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind if you want to participate:

Let me know if you are going to participate. No real reason for the one, I just like to know things.

You can donate as many different times are you want, just keep track of what you are bringing.

You can donate anywhere you would like.

You can take things out of your stockpile to donate.

You don't have to spend anything on the challenge, but it is alright if you do. Remember the thought here is to help the food shelf. If you can find a bunch of things for $2 that's great. If you feel let to spend a little bit more that's great.

All donations must be made on or before May 17. That give us a little over five full weeks. I know people don't always check the blog, so this way there will be enough time even if some people don't start for a week.

I think that's it. This got a little long. Can you tell I didn't think it through too much before I started typing? It would be great if you could send in your pictures and totals throughout the challenge. I think it would inspire us to look for more deals and items to donate.

Alright Ladies, search those closets/cupboards, pull out your ads/coupons and lets see what God does with our "loaves and fish."

No comments: