Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What is she saying?

It's been brought to my attention that I use my own vocabulary, but haven't ever made a post explaining what I'm talking about. Sorry. Sometimes I think that most of you already know what I mean.

I'll try to make a list of common abbreviations that I use so that you can tell what I am saying. I'll label it Abbreviations and it will be on the right hand side of the blog so that you can you check it any time.

I'll try to remember all the ones that I use, but I might made a couple of posts as I add new ones or remember that I forgot something.

OYNO-On Your Next Order
Commonly refers a coupon that prints at check out. Usually this is a reward for purchasing a specific items or amount of items. It is for $X and can usually be used for any item you wish. Some restrictions do apply, but they differ slightly by store. Read the fine print on your coupon to make sure you know what it is good on.

MF-Manufacture coupon

TC-Target coupon
Usually found at Target.com. Occasionally there are Target coupons found in store on items. Target.com coupons are good for 4 weeks. They will be on the Target web site for 2 weeks before they are replaced by new coupons. Hotcouponworld.com and AFullCup.com both have coupon generators with all unexpired target coupons. You should be able to print out as many coupons as you like.

Blinki
Coupon found at a store, located in the little black boxes that blink

Peelie
Coupon found in store, on a specific product. Can be peelied and used on your purchase or saved for another day.

RR-Register Reward
This is a Walgreens specific name for OYNO coupons. One thing to note with register rewards is that you can not use them on the same product they printed out on and receive another register reward.
--I.E.
Buy toothpaste for $4, receive a $4 RR. If you take the $4 RR from the toothpaste and use it to pay for a second tub of the same toothpaste you will not receive a RR on your second purchase.

Catilina
Name of company who produces and manages the little coupon machines found at registers in most stores. This is the machine that prints the OYNO and RR coupons. At times it will also print out different coupons or ads for new products. People often interchange Catilina with OYNO when talking about a deal with a print out for money off your next order.

BOGO-Buy One Get One
When I only write BOGO I am referring to by one get one free. If it is anything other then free I will list if after the BOGO.
--I.E BOGO 50% off=Buy one get one 50% off. Most of the time it isn't a good deal unless it is free because BOGO 50% means each item is only discounted 25%.

ECB-Extra Care Bucks
These are the coupons you get at CVS for buying specified items. They are good towards anything in the store except gift cards and prescriptions. Some people have talked about being able to use them on gift cards, but I have never tried so until I know for sure I will say, no gift cards.

IVC-Instant Value Coupon
This is a coupon in the Walgreens ad. Usually only good for one week.

ESC-Easy Saver Coupon
Coupon located in the monthly Walgreens book. Usually the dates do not run all month long, but instead can be a little under a month or a little over. They tend to put the expiration date at the end of a week instead of the end of a month. Check the coupons for the exact dates

OOP-Out of Pocket
The total amount of cash that it took or will take to purchase items. This is usually after all coupons and discounts. If it is different I try to explain in the post

$X/Y
Amount of money a coupon is for and how many items need to be purchased to fulfill the coupon requirements.

Y/$X
How many items can be purchased for a specific amount of money after coupons and discounts.

Price match
Taking an ad for one store and being able to purchase it for that price at another store. Walmart will price match competitor's ads. I often being my Aldi ad to the Super Walmart in town. I have found the produce is higher quality. It also saves a lot of gas not having to drive all the way over to Aldi.

This is also a great idea for Black Friday is you don't think you will be able to get to a specific store before the amount of products is gone. I will worn that that few Walmart employees know how to price match and it does take a while to get it taken care of. If you are willing to wait you can save a lot of money.

Black Friday-The day after Thanksgiving
I'm sure there is some long explanation, but I'm not sure totally what it is.

MM or $M-Both can be used for Money Maker
This is when you combine different offers so that not only is the item free, but the store will end up owing you money. Rarely will they pay you cash out of the register. Often what you will need to do if you know you will have a money maker is get a filler to add to your order so that your balance is not below $.00 after all coupons and discounts.

Occasionally you will find a MM that prints out an ECB, RR or OYNO coupon so that you can use that money later on something you really want.

Filler
A filler is anything you need or want that you throw into your order so that your balance is not below $.00 after all your coupons have been scanned.

Overage
Pretty much the same as a money maker. After the sale, and coupons you will have a discount that is more then the cost of the item. You will need to add a filler so your order isn't under.

It helps to total your order before you go so you know how much overage you have and can get something you really want. When I started I would often have an overage, but not realize the correct amount so I would just grab candy at the checkout instead of something I could have really used.

$X/OYO-Money off on your order
Occasionally there are in ad MF for a specific amount off your order when you buy X amount of qualifying products. It has always been explained to me that being the coupon if off your total order you can still use MF for the specific products you are buying to qualify for the coupon. The Shakopee Cub has started to argue this point in the last few months, but this is the only store I have had a problem at.


1 comment:

Karin said...

Thanks Esther!

from wikipedia: The term "Black Friday" originated in Philadelphia in reference to the heavy traffic on that day. More recently, merchants and the media have used it instead to refer to the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit).